Wednesday, December 19, 2007

''We Shall Meet At Philippi' By Adesina Ogunlana

THE LEARNED SQUIB

Vol 1 No 8 22nd May 2001


In a few days time very important developments shall take place in the Lagos State Judiciary…if the Lord tarries.

Firstly, new magistrates shall be appointed and appointees announced on or before the 25th May 2001.

Secondly, a new chief judge of Lagos State shall be announced.

Thirdly, announcement of newly appointed judges in replacement of retired and retiring ones shall be made.

It is very clear that a lot of high tension politics have attended the nomination and appointments of these personages.

Some lawyers do not care who becomes the Chief Judge or Magistrate but I CARE and very passionately too because the quality of the bench fundamentally determines the health of the Bar and the stability of the society.

If the stories one hears about are anything to rely on, it seems as if there are some misfits in the list of appointees.

I have heard of the selection of persons who are as far away from the practice of the law as a fish is to living outside water.

I have heard of the selection of persons whose spouses’ influence and weight in society counted more with the selectors than the ‘appointees’ personal competence and integrity.

Can all these be true? If true, then I say, “Ha, et tu Segun; Ha, et tu Osibajo!” But I will do more than say “et tu” to anybody.

By God, I pledge myself to foment trouble for such unworthy appointees. I pledge myself to cause confusion, discomfort, agony, heartache, hypertension, sorrow, regret, to such evil persons who are “troublers of Israel.”

Let it ring loud and clear, that the era of stupid complacence, sheepish, uncritical acceptance of judicial mess from vile judges who are not worthy of their ermine robes in the first instance, is gone, gone forever.

I have no apology for my position and may God deal as much with anybody who apologises on my behalf to any so called power behind my back.

Bad, Lazy, Ignorant, Corrupt Judges are the judiciary’s greatest problem. Honestly. Forget all those whining about poor funding or infrastructural deficiencies. They are real and true, but have such problems stopped Akinsanya .J, Rhodes-Vivour .J, Adefope-Okogie .J, Kekere-Ekun .J, Adeyinka .J and such other respectable judges from great daily performances?

So my dear misfit-appointee, please do yourself a favour – kindly reject the appointment or turn over a magic new leaf. Else, the Scourge of God shall fall on you and your court made ungovernable and your tenure a disgrace. Before you destroy our living, our profession and our society.

Dare you call me a PECULIAR MESS!

But you and those who appoint you are the more PECULIAR MESS!


Related link: http://www.learnedsquib.blogspot.com

No comments: